Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'll make them see, I have confidence in me!

     I'm really glad I'm doing this blog thing through Peace Corps Wiki. I spend lots of time reading blogs, and I love getting in touch with Peace Corps applicants and volunteers. Thanks to everyone who reads this and has commented and whatnot. Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think there is a way to reply to comments on my blogs, right? I wish there was.

     I should clarify real quick just that my last name is not really Lele. Diana Lele is a sad attempt at a cute and clever mix of my name and ukulele. It is currently serving as an alias so that my students have a slightly more difficult time finding me. Although a google search of my name, or any combination of Diana and ukulele still lead right to my youtube page. Ah well, I tried.

     I went to the eye doctor. Just like at all my other appointments so far, the receptionist was rude to me because my insurance changed, and then was even ruder when I mentioned I had an additional form that needed to be filled out for the Peace Corps. The actual doctor was fine though. He was interested in my plans with the Peace Corps. However, he somehow managed to convince me that I could not POSSIBLY live in the Peace Corps without transitional glasses to act as both glasses and sunglasses, thus raising my bill about 100 dollars. After all, it is really sunny in Cambodia! lol, Then when I was driving home sense came back to me. I thought: wait.. what? I hardly ever even wear my glasses and I have sooo many pairs of sunglasses that I actually enjoy wearing. So, I made my mom call the doctor :-P and cancel the transitional part. Discreet, sturdy, regular glasses are all I need.

      I'm glad I didn't schedule any appointments for today because Long Island is buried under more than a foot of snow. Yaaay snow day!

     These past few days I've been feeling... almost helpless. I have SO MUCH to do, between finalizing all my medical forms, getting tutoring experience, and getting ready for student teaching. But the thing is, I can't really do anything right now. My doctors appointments are all scheduled. So I just have to wait for those to happen. I'm signed up for an ESL training workshop, but that's not until January 29th. Student teaching starts Tuesday and I just kinda have to wait for that to come. Classes start next week as well. Right now I'm just waiting for everything to happen, which I hate, but I have no choice. Next week is going to be like a bomb hit my life because everything will be happening all at once.  Sometime before Tuesday I have to pick up some confidence. I can't help but think of the scene in the Sound of Music where Julia Andrews (LOVE HER) is going to her first day at work, running and skipping down the streets of Austria, convincing herself through song that she has confidence. I think I might try that. It seemed to have worked for her.

     I am trying to enjoy myself occasionally. You can't be a serious Peace Corps applicant without the idea that you might be gone in a few months constantly in the back of your head. I'm graduating at the end of this semester, which is exciting, but also really sad. I loved college. I loved studying music more than anything. I spent just about every waking minute of the last 3 and a half years with the most amazing friends anyone can ask for. Regardless of whether or not I go into the Peace Corps, we are all going our spearate ways after graduation. So I'm definitely feeling like I need to spend as much time as possible with these people and doing the things I love. After all, there really is nothing more exciting and unpredicatable than a cluster of music majors.

Did I ever think that I would "sing for a Goodyear Tire commercial? No, but that just happened two days ago.
Did I ever think that I would surprise Christmas carol for a dozen diners and bars? No, but we did, and got free food out of it!
Did I ever think that I would sing at a professional hockey game? No, but we did.
Did I ever think that my most talented friends would allow little old me to perform (and turn pages) with them at their senior recitals? No, but they did.
Did I ever think that I would want to break into the music building after hours, just to practice with my friends until it's almost time to be there for class the following morning? No, but we've done that.

I guess I'm just trying to make whatever time I have left in this last leg of my undergrad career count. I love what I'm doing and I love the people I do it with. I'm glad we still have a couple more months (not to mention our performances in ITALY, something else I thought I'd never do). So pardon me, friends, that I keep mentioning the end of the road when we hang out, but just know that it's because you have made this journey amazing.

Wow Diana, stop typing. I know you can keep going on and on, but this is not the time.
ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment