Saturday, January 22, 2011

Almost Done with Medical as Life Continues

Oh Peace Corps Journal, let me tell you about the last week and a half.

     Thursday. It took me two hours to get a Hepatitis B shot. Thus making me miss my dentist appointment.
     They let me come a little later in the day. After getting my teeth cleaned, the office told me that the dentist isn't even in today. So I have to make another appointment, come back, and sit with the actual dentist as he looks at my x rays and fills out my PC forms.

     Friday. Teacher clothes shopping. blech. I had to trade in my sunglasses, sweatshirts, skinny jeans, and converse for something more collared, woolly, and ruffly. I hate ruffles.

     Tuesday. First day of student teaching at the elementary level. I am so awkward and shy in new situations. So the first day was pretty awful. But as the week progressed, I just really tried to put myself out there. I found that I needed to be interesting in order for the other teachers to be interested in me being there at all. Of course I brought the Peace Corps up, and I think that's when I was finally respected by the other teachers. Also, I've started teaching some of the violin, viola, and cello lesson groups. I think I've done alright and I've gained the trust of my cooperating teacher with her students. As of now, the hardest thing about student teaching is I have a very different teaching style and method than my cooperating teacher. But of course I have to do it her way, or at least close to her way. And that's okay. I will occasionally slip in something different, but I'm sure she will be okay with that. Who knows, this might be good practice for the Peace Corps. I definitely cant expect that wherever I go, they will just allow me to change the system. I will have to work with what I have, make compromises, and just always do my best with what is allocated to me.

     I went back to the dentist Tuesday afternoon (had to cut class to do so). I sat down in the dentist chair. The dentist came in, looked at my x rays and said "ok, you have some cavities so make another appointment and I'll see you then." I don't know WHY i had to be there as he looked at the x rays. It was a waste of an appointment, and now I have to cut ANOTHER class to go get my cavities filled. This is not okay.

     Oh, and then on Tuesday night, one of my favorite singer/songwriters Julia Nunes (youtube ukulele player) discovered a youtube video of mine where I covered one of her songs! She facebooked, tweeted, and youtubed about it saying she was honored and she loved it! It was really exciting! I never expected that to happen. It is SO COOL to get feedback on a cover song from the original artist! Here is the video I made:


     Then on Thursday, I cut class again to go to the endocrinologist. This is for my biggest problem that I am afraid Peace Corps will dismiss me for. The endocrinologist was SO nice and totally understood that we didn't want whatever this is to be a cause for delay or limitations in the Peace Corps, especially because I've had this problem since I was 12 and have had no complications because of it. My tests point to a mild case of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Unlike my other doctor who wouldn't even hear me out, this doctor took time to think about it and decided I didn't need medication or follow-up until AFTER the peace corps. YES! Now, I hope the Peace Corps agrees with that. Yes, I am diagnosed with POS, but it is so mild that treatment is not necessary until later in life.

    The very last thing I need to do is get my cavities filled. I am going to have to miss a few hours of student teaching to do this. I am really not supposed to miss, but I have to. I've read all over the Peace Corps journals that there are too many volunteers and too few jobs. The jobs are filling up quickly. So if I want to go on my July/August departure, I need to get these forms in ASAP! Then I can put all my focus on student teaching, classes, rehearsals, work, and tutoring. ahhh who am i kidding my focus is still spread too thin..

     Anyway, I've finally reached the weekend, where I can actually grab a couple hours here and there to breathe. Unfortunately I'm sick. A cold of sorts. Hopefully I can kick it before Monday.

     Next week I have a training class for tutoring, and I should be having a meeting with someone on campus to get started tutoring there. I'll feel so much better once I start clocking in my 30+ hours of experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment