Monday, March 7, 2011

March has come, March is going...

On February 22nd I mailed in my Medical forms, jumped and clicked my heels, and started the real waiting game.
On March 1st (Peace Corps 50th Anniversary) I got every applicant’s favorite email saying “Your application status has been updated”. The update just says that they have received my paperwork. But they have not yet started reviewing it. I assume I’ll get another status update when that begins.
I’ve been feeling RAS (Restless Applicant Syndrome) for weeks now, but at this point it is more than ever. It is completely out of my hands. The ball is in their court and I just have to wait and see what happens.
I especially feel like I need to know because if the Peace Corps is not going to happen, I need to be making other plans with my life! I am graduating in less than 2 months without a job and without even a plan. If I wasn’t doing the Peace Corps, I would be applying for grad school NOW. I should be working on applications for graduate assistantship positions and such. The positions are going to close in like a month and if the Peace Corps doesn’t happen, I am out of luck.
It’s also weird for me because my friends are all making their plans. I am so proud of my friends. They are all going to be amazing, whether they get teaching jobs or they go off into the world of performing music. It is weird for them to tell me about their near future plans and then not have anything to offer in return other than- “I might be living in a third world country in four months. Would you care to visit?” Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE hearing about the futures of my friends. I just wish I also had some concrete plans that I can throw into the mix of my graduating class.
Cambodia leaves July 19th. So far, that is the closest departure date to what I was nominated for (asia late July-august).  Cambodia would be very very cool. I enjoy telling people that I’m moving to Cambodia. I wasn’t too thrilled with an Asia nomination, but Cambodia would be the best case scenario I think.
To sum it all up, life is pretty good. I’m about halfway done with student teaching. I am about to switch over to the high school to teach orchestra, lessons, and music theory there. ESL tutoring is going well. I enjoy working with students, especially as I start to see improvement from week to week. It is very satisfying. And last but not least, I am trying to get in as much quality time with music as possible. I am enjoying the 4 ensembles I am in, and I am constantly just absorbing myself with music whether it is alone in a practice room or with friends.
Don’t forget to stop and smell the Long Island roses.

No comments:

Post a Comment