Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Opera, Wisdom Teeth, and Costa Rica

Recently completed:
-got my wisdom teeth out
-updated resume sent to the Cambodia office
-Aspiration statements sent to the Cambodia office
-Passport and Visa applications mailed in
-a Bon Voyage party is planned

Next steps:
-get loan deferment papers
-fill out the hometown news press release stuff
-start making lists of things i need to get!

_____________________________________________

After I got home from Italy, I SHOULD have gotten my wisdom teeth pulled right away, but I couldn't cause I HAD to do an opera at Lincoln Center. When someone asks you to sing in the chorus of a professional opera at Lincoln Center in NYC, you say yes. So I did that. And it was actually my third year in a row doing so. It was tons of fun and I was very impressed with the final product. It was actually two short comedic operas. The chorus parts were kind of short and far in between, but still, it is cool to have 3 rehearsals, and then do an opera. You should try it one day.
Here's a link to a website with some reviews from NY Times and Opera Today

The very next day, Wednesday May 25th, I got my Wisdom Teeth out. That was an exciting experience. Well, at least what I remember of it. I was knocked out... and then pretty drugged up for a while. According to those who took care of me, I was very giggly and also very concerned with what time it was... every 3 minutes. But healing went well at first. I ate lots of soup, apple sauce, mashed potatoes (lol thanks Kristin) pudding and ice cream. 2 days later on Friday, things were looking good so I got the stitches out.

THEN on Sunday I hopped on a plane with my brother and 18 other people from my church to go on a mission trip to Costa Rica. Most things went very well. We painted a house and we did some sheet-rocking in another. Most of our time however was spent traveling to the poorest neighborhoods in Alajuelita and loving on the kids. We just played with them for hours and it was so much fun. We talked to their parents and we prayed for them and with them. We also did 2 feeding centers for the homeless and 2 feeding centers for children. Those were really great. We would serve them food, and then just spend some time with them and talking to them. You all (whoever is reading this) would have been SO PROUD of my spanish. I remembered quite a bit from High School. My grammar was awful and a lot of times the kids would just laugh at me, but the important thing is that I was able to hold extended conversations with people, and this is the first mission trip I've been on that I was able to do that. The only set back to this mission trip was that... MY TEETH HURT SO BAD! I've never taken so much ibuprofen in my life!

I got back this past Saturday night and I was seen by the oral surgeon on Monday. Turns out I have dry socket. YAY! It is so painful. Now I have to go back to the dentist every other day so that this can be treated. Those of you who know me or who have been reading my previous blogs know how HILARIOUS this is because I LOVE the dentist. Dentists are my FAVORITE!

BTW, I did ask the missionaries who live in Alajuelita if they've ever come across a Peace Corps volunteer in the area. They said the didn't. Ah well, I tried. I was curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment