Friday, September 16, 2011

Personal Statement *INSERT GRADUATION MUSIC HERE*

To finish off training, we had to put together some materials to create a small portfolio. One of the materials was a Personal Statement, which of course I waited until the last minute to do. I was going to stop after the first paragraph, but my hand kept writing! And now I have this nerdy sad excuse for imagery as a Personal Statement. Oh well. I will also call it a pre-written blog entry, where all I have to do is copy and paste, then upload fun pictures to put at the bottom for your enjoyment.


            As a Peace Corps volunteer in Cambodia, my roles as an English teacher are numerous and varied. I am an expert on the English language because I am a native speaker. I am an encourager of creative teaching and educational activities. I am a resource for the teachers. I am a lesson-planning and brainstorming buddy. I am a role model of professionalism and dedication. I am the class pronunciation police. I am an English conversation practicing tool. I am a reason for students to be excited to go to English class (at least initially). I am a teacher trainer. Most importantly, I am a supporter of organic ideas and efforts in the community, from the students to the school director.
            My idea of what it means to be in the Peace Corps reminds me of what I was doing before I came to Cambodia. As a school Orchestra Director, it was my job to help everyone within the orchestra achieve to their best potential. The first step of preparation and rehearsal is assessment of the level of performance as a whole. This includes observation and intent listening, which I plan to do at site. From there, the director spends much time in rehearsal. The director applauds strengths and works through weaknesses. He or she works with individual instruments, groups of instruments, and with the whole orchestra. A good orchestra director always feeds off the players’ emotions, desires, and interpretations as individuals and as a community of players. As the performers gain skill and confidence, the school Orchestra Director’s role becomes more about support. Instead of long-winded instructions or modeling, the performers only need small cues, or even just a reassuring glance. Then, in the end, everyone does their part to create the finished product with flawless transitions, balance, and blending. The school orchestra director makes no noise and contributes nothing to the sound. Finally, when it is all over, the Orchestra Director averts all pride and praise to the performers, commending their talent, skill, and hard work alone. The director has essentially only brought out what the performers had inside of them all along.
            My goal is that at the end of my Peace Corps service, I can get off the podium and know that the finished product and the skills acquired in the process are things that my community can take with them for years and years after I am gone.






1. Laundry! (bowk cow ow)
2. Dog. Costume design by Leeny.
3. Something I wish I actually had time to do! This picture is a set-up. I have actually yet to sleep in a hammock, though it is a cultural norm here.
4. Suave Jimi
5. Nothing cooler than my Peace Corps issued bike and helmet!

No comments:

Post a Comment