Things that happen while you serve in the Peace Corps
Note: I had to look up some of these things cause I had no idea.
- Something called Occupy Wall Street.
- Amy Winehouse died.
- Steve Jobs died.
- Older brother got a girlfriend
- Everyone puts a # sign in front of stuff they type. Why?
- Everyone made fun of Christina Aguilera
- People took pictures of themselves lying face down, all over the place. Why?
- Friends went to grad school
- Hurricane Irene
- An Earthquake on the east coast
- Summer Olympics
- Conservatives got really mad at Hilary Clinton.
- Friends got permanent jobs
- Whitney Houston died
- Dick Clark died
- Neil Armstrong died
- Friends, classmates, and ex boyfriends got engaged
- The world didn’t end.
- Julia Nunes made a new album
- Perks of Being a Wallflower became a movie
- Hurricane Sandy
- Little brother became man enough to grow a beard.
- Obama won a second term
- The hobbit became a movie
- The twilight saga finally ended
- 3 new nephews were born, and they grew into walking, talking toddlers
- Temple Run
- Everyone tried eating a spoonful of cinnamon without vomiting.
- Draw Something? What’s that?
- Boy bands became a thing again
- Older brother got engaged
- People cared about Kony for a week, but then heard the video was a scam so they stopped caring.
- The Hunger Games
- Pinterest. What is that?
- Friends finished grad school and collected their masters
- Hostess shut down.
- Instagram. Is that the same thing as pinterest?
- YOLO became a craze. By the time I figured out what it meant, it was over.
- Game of Thrones
- Friends stopped keeping in touch. Some never even tried to keep in touch.
- New Girl
- Hicksville became famous because of a fortune teller reality show
- Couldn’t participate in the “first world problems” joke, because I’m in a third world country.
Sorta puts into perspective how long I’ve been away, doesn’t it?
These are things that happened while I’ve been overseas doing the Peace Corps. Notice though that I steered clear of using the words “missed out on.” Don’t you for a second think that I don’t have a list, even LONGER of stuff that happened here while you’ve been busy playing instagram and lying with your face on the ground.
Maybe you’re the one who has “missed out.”
These are photos of the World Map project I did with my students. They did a fantastic job. It's so detailed.
At this stage, we were drawing all the countries on the wall. This is Western Africa
The students at work
The first bit of color put on our drawn map