Thursday, June 6, 2013

Little Town, It's a Quiet Village

                Ever wonder what it's like for a Peace Corps volunteer to step outside their house into the midst of their village?
                Then I suggest you watch the opening village scene from Beauty and the Beast. It's a lot like that. Except dustier and hotter. And mostly in Khmer. 
                Now, if I had more time, and a lot more energy, I would make an awesome youtube parody of the song. Instead, I’ll just put the lyrics here, with a few changes, and you can use your imaginations and sing the tune in your head. The real song is titled Belle. Appropriately, I changed it to Diana.


If you’d like to try to follow along, listen to this video while reading the blog:




Diana

Diana: Little town it's a quiet village.
                Every day like the one before.
                Little town full of little people, waking up to say.
Man #1: Nyam bai! (eat rice)
Man #2: Nyam bai!
Woman #1: Nyam bai!
Man #3: Nyam bai!
Man #4: Nyam bai!
Diana:  There goes the seller with her tray like always.
                The same old bugs and snails to sell.
                Every morning just the same since the morning that I came,
                To this poor provincial town.
Seller: Hello Barang!
Diana: Hello Sir!
Seller: Where you go?
Diana: The school
                I just wrote the most wonderful lesson,
                About verbs and second conditional clauses...
Seller: That's nice. Wife! The baguettes! Hurry up!
Group of Market Ladies: Look there she goes that girl is strange no question.
                Dazed and distracted, can't you tell?
Woman #1: Never part of any crowd.
Man #3: Cuz her heads up on some cloud.
Villagers: No denying she's a funny girl that Diana.
Man #1: Bonjour!
Woman #1: Hello!
Man #1: Hello I love you!
Woman #1: Bonjour!
Man #4: Hello!
Woman #1: What is your name?
Woman #2: I need six eggs!
Man #2: That's too expensive.
Diana: There must be more than this provincial life.
Co-Teacher: Ah! Diana!
Diana: Good Morning! I've come to teach with you!
Co-Teacher: I’m finished already.
Diana: Class time just started. Have you taught anything new?
Co-Teacher: Not since yesterday!
Diana: That's alright. We'll teach...this class!
Co-Teacher: This one?! But you've taught it twice!
Diana: Well it's my favorite! Far off gazing, daring cheating, lazy students, with one good one in disguise
Book Shop Clerk: Well if you like it all that much, it's yours.
Diana: But sir!
Co-Teacher: I insist.
Diana: No really, that’s against Peace Corps policy…
Male Teachers: Look there she goes that girl is so peculiar. I wonder if she's feeling well.
Female Teachers: With a dreamy far off look.
Male Teachers: And her nose stuck in a book.
Villagers: What a puzzle to the rest of us, is Diana.
Diana: Oh! Isn't this amazing? It's my favorite part because you'll see.


                Here's where she does her homework. But she won't discover
                she learned something til I leave.
Woman #3: Now It's no wonder that the barong is a beauty, her nose has got no parallel.
Man #1: But behind that fair facade, I'm afraid she's rather odd. 
                Very different from the rest of us.
Villagers: She's nothing like the rest of us. Yes different from the rest of us is Diana.



I had kittens at my house for 2 whole weeks! It was the best! This one I named Sally

They moved next door after 2 weeks. It was da wurst.

Charlie!

Brownie (aka Mama Brown)

The rice fields during dry season

I took my camera with me one day for the bike ride into the provincial town...

... and these are some of the sights from that bike ride


It's about 15k (9miles) to the provincial town

I go there twice a week

waterlily


No comments:

Post a Comment