Sunday, June 30, 2013

Recap, 45 Things

I have 2 days left as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Here is a recap of all the things I listed on my "__ Months, __ Things" series. Plus, I'm still trying to catch up with pictures.

Things I can't wait for in America
  1. Grass
  2. Toilet Paper
  3. Snow
  4. Wearing my hair down
  5. Clean feet
  6. My bedroom Walls
  7. My mom
  8. WIFI
  9. Chicken Parm and burritos and all other SMOTHERED food items.
  10. Driving a car
  11. Singing at the top of my lungs while driving a car
  12. Cushioned seats and couches
  13. Ovens
  14. Leopold, the best dog in the world
  15. Christmas lights and trees
  16. Trash cans and garbage trucks
  17. Not being famous
  18. Dr. Pepper
  19. Printers and scanners
  20. Wifi
  21. Getting your own seat on all modes of transportation
  22. Wearing sweatshirts
  23. Wearing sneakers
  24. Deoderant
  25. Meeting new members of the family, including 3 nephews and a sister-in-law
  26. Finding out what the Harlem Shake is
  27. Radio
  28. Nice roads
  29. Musical Harmony
  30. My violin
  31. Church
  32. Schools with discipline systema and teacher accountability
  33. Rat/fire ant/gecko/tarantula – free houses
  34. New York City
  35. Plumbing
  36. A real mattress
  37. Breakfast foods for breakfast
  38. Carpet
  39. Dairy products
  40. Delivery
  41. Barbeques
  42. Drinking from the tap. And taking showers with my mouth open.
  43. Places of interest being open past 6PM
  44. Proudly telling people I am a RPCV- Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. Not former. Not ex-PCV. Returned.
  45. Now maybe this is far too general, but I can't wait for the future. I mean that I can't wait to start this next chapter of my life. Up to this point, every couple of years could be neatly organized into "chapters"- Peace Corps, College, etc. The next chapter is starting, and I honestly don't know what it's going to all be about. I have some ideas, some of which could potentially make me very happy. I guess I'll figure out over the next few months where this chapter will lead me.


Things I don't want to leave in Cambodia
  1. Palm trees
  2. Afternoon naps
  3. Making my own work schedule
  4. Sting and Samurai sodas
  5. Korean Pop
  6. Getting clothes made by tailors
  7. My honor society students
  8. Speaking Khmer
  9. Hammocks
  10. Being famous
  11. Being called Teacher like it’s my name
  12. Monkeys
  13. Beer with ice and a straw
  14. Students standing in respect when I enter a room
  15. Vast green rice fields
  16. Pink and orange sunrises and sunsets over the vast green rice fields
  17. Nom Pow and Jayk K’tee
  18. Super cheap hotels
  19. Elephants
  20. Cambodian Iced Coffee
  21. Detail manicure/pedicure for 50 cents
  22. Tuk tuk rides
  23. Reading and writing Khmer
  24. Cambodian Rice
  25. Half a can of soda in a bag with a straw
  26. Having visitors and being a tour guide
  27. Going to bed at 8:30PM
  28. Having time to read a few novels a month
  29. Yeys (grandmas) touching my butt
  30. My adorable 7th grade groupies
  31. Mangoes
  32. My “ladies”. My coffee lady. My phone card lady. My nail lady. My sugarcane juice lady. etc
  33. My bike. It’s crap, but we’ve been through a lot together
  34. Shootin’ the breeze with my host sister or brother
  35. My very good friend Rithy
  36. The Korean volunteers and missionaries I’ve made friends with
  37. My little Khmer church
  38. Each individual student’s laughter
  39. Bartering for everything
  40. Eating on the floor
  41. My sisters and brothers in Takeo and Prey Veng
  42. The way Khmer people WANT to sit and listen to me play music and sing
  43. Being surrounded by nature- looking out of my window and seeing rice fields instead of a parking lot. cooking, eating, and generally hanging out outside, etc
  44. Helping take care of my baby niece Solita, and watching her grow and learn
  45. Being a volunteer. In this life, every day I wake up with an opportunity to make a difference in peoples' lives on the other side of the world. It's never easy, but on the rare occasion when something goes right, it's the best feeling in the world. Here, I have time for others and for making a difference. I don't have to worry about work getting in the way because it IS my work. I know I'll always find ways to do what I can for this world, but I know it will never be in this way ever again. 

This is from a "Planning Your Future" workshop

I didn't teach the workshop, I just coordinated it

Student volunteers from the Royal University of Phnom Penh taught the workshop

40 Students in grades 11 and 12 came

They learned about university, the different types of major, studying abroad, making goals, etc.

One activity was a board game similar to Life

In the game they had to make decisions, and then see where "life" took them

They got really into it




One morning I woke up and found this spider on my trunk. It's bigger than my hand.

This is my school

Buildings and classrooms are lined up on the right and left hand side of the middle dirt road

Some buildings are concrete

Some are wooden


At the end of the dirt path is a basketball court, the flag, and the school office.


No comments:

Post a Comment